Behind the Mask
The current health crisis is revealing the true character of our frontline responders. The spotlight shining on the courage of nurses is appropriate but nothing new. The nurse behind the mask has always been a warrior of compassion, courage and strength. This devotional message is to celebrate and courage the heart of nurses behind the mask.
Dr. Anthony Medley, DMin
Emmanuel Brinklow Seventh-day Adventist Church
- Dr. Medley showed pictures of five nurses who had made an impact on his life: his mother, his wife, Sara Pitts – nurse in his academy, Marlene – cousin of his wife who was a nurse in Oakland College, and Betsy Johnson, FCN in his church.
- He then talked about people behind a mask. In movies, there is the masked villain. There could be a person with a deformity who hides behind a mask. There are also superheroes behind a mask. Nurses, who also stand behind a mask, are first responders to crisis. And here is where true character is revealed.
- Nurses are warriors. 2 Samuel 23:8-12 tells of the experience of three of David’s mighty men in battle. Nurses are like those 3 men: Fearless, Tenacious, and unyielding. Nurses move forward to what they are called and trained to do.
- In the Parable of the Talents, Jesus told those who had increased their talents “Well done good and faithful servant.” This could also be said of nurses.
- Pastor Medley told the group how his wife for Nurse’s Week gave her staff a medallion with a mask on it.